2016/07/06

THE JOB HUNT


Oh Canada!
Day 10 - Monday - Job hunt without voiceMy cold gets worse, but I have to get a job. I only have a week for this, so let the hunt begin. With a bunch of resumes in my bag and my board under my feet I go from hotel to hotel , from shop to shop. I start to get used to the walk-in-and-apply method. But I feel pretty unconfident, because of my bad condition. Cracked voice and caughing and so on. And the weather changes like minimum four times a day. From super sunny to snow. That's not helpful.




Welcome to the kitchen
Day 11 - Tuesday - Finally a job
I'm still waiting for somebody to reply to my applications. Waiting sucks, seriously. But I start to feel better. Finally! At the hostel I met Julia, a girl from Germany as well, and we team up for the job hunt. A guy from the hostel gave us the tip to apply at Earl's Kitchen and Bar. So give it a try and got hired right away from the point! We can come back in the evening and start to work. We don't know what our jobs will be, but in the end we've got a job. Yeah! 

Back at Restaurant we get our uniform. It's cooking clothes. So now we know we're working in the kitchen. But witch position? After a tour through the whole environment we get books, filled with recipes. Mine are for the oven, Julias for the pans. Are we going to cook? We are both a little bit shocked. They hired us as Line Cooks without experience! That's crazy. Julia feels more and more uncompfortable, I'm pretty excited. I don't know if I'm able to do this, but I want to give it a try.






Rundle Mountain
Day 12 - Wednesday - Beeing a Line Cook
My day starts early. Julia decided not to do do the job, because she felt very uncompfortable. I understand her and so it's only me now. Good luck to her! Well back at the restaurant I got introduced to my future work place, the ovens. After I theoretically learnd all the recipes yesterday, I have to cook them all today. Over seven dishes and I have to try them all. But the kitchen guys helped me to eat them all, haha. I think I am not to bad at this job and it's fun. The ovens are hot, but that's worth it. And I feel cool in my kitchen outfit.

I am still living in the hostel in a 10 bed dorm. I've got a new roommate today. His name is Austen and he's from Edmonton. We get pretty good along with each other. And I am happy that I finally have somebody to talk with.




Sorry for this
Day 13 - Thursday - First real shift
Because work starts in the afternoon, Austen and me wandering around through Banff and seeking for a job for him. We really have a good conection to each other and I am glad that I can share my time with somebody. Walking around alone all the time is pretty boring.

At the late afternoon my shift starts with a training . I learn stuff about food, cleanliness and the concept of the restaurant. After that I can decide if I want to do my first real night shift at the Line or going home. I took the shift. The first time I am doing this all by myself. On my third day. I am aftraid and pumped about the upcoming hours. But I think I nailed it for a bloody beginner. And it's a lot of fun. Tired but happy about this opportunity I finish this day.




Day 14 - Friday - the 13th
Actually I'm not superstitious, but after this day I'm not so sure. Everything started with a text message I sent to my chef, about when my shift would start today, because we couldn't find the schedule yesterday night. So I recived a call in the early morning that I don't have to come. The restaurant is closed due to a fire in the night. I am shocked. I've got a job, finally, and then the restaurant burned down. F*ck!! Okay, now I have to clear my mind and start from zero again. I remember that I've got an invitation for an Interview a day ago. So I write them and settel up the interview for the afternoon. And they hired me! Starting on monday I am a housekeeper at a hotel. I also got the okay for the spot in Lucys appartment. So after the day started super bad it become super awesome in the end. Phew!

I also got a couple new people in my dorm and we talked a lot this evening and sang along to the guitar. It is interesting to listen to other people, coz everybody is from somewhere over the world. And I finally explored different kind of canadian beer. Sadly it's my last night at the hostel.



Bow River
Day 15 - Saturday - Moving again
Today I check out at the hostel and move in at the Apartment. Not as a couchsurfer again, this time as the new roommate. I liked the hostel because you meet a lot of people but you have zero privacy and that sucks after a while.
I also go to Canmore today and do a little thrift shopping. Finally I have sunglasses. And I restock my food. Holy it is so expensive. But necessary.





Bow Falls with little rainbow :3
Day 16 - Sunday - Bow River and Falls
Today is the last day before I start to work again. And the weather is so nice that I grab my board and drive to the Bow River and take a walk along through the Bow Falls. Actually they are not really falls, maybe little ones. Around the river are grasslands and a lot of trees, so it is easy to find a nice spot without tourists. I enjoyed most of the day walking and laying around, soaking up the air and the view.

1 Kommentar: