2012/08/09

From Dublin to Balcoo/Holywell

Dia dhuit!!

This means 'Hello' in Irish Gaelic :)
Today I'll try to write a long(er) entry.
Well, let's start after we left the ferry.

This was my first time while driving on the left side. I was really afraid and drove carefully as hell. But after an hour I start to get used to it. If u concentrate a little bit it's simple. And in Ireland u have a low speed limit on the streets. I think that's good (for persons like me). Haha.
Our first stop was Rush. A small village few kilometers behind Dublin. Irland don't have that much campsites. This sucks a little bit, cause we have to drive long distances to find one . There are just two around Dublin. So we choosed the one in Rush next to the sea. I liked it, cause the air was so fresh!!
On the next day we went to Dublin. I like this town. It's like day and night. Some new things and modern stuff, but it doesn't matter where you look, you allways find old stuff. At first we visited the Kilmainham Goal. We had a tour around the prison. It was so interessting. But it's to much to tell the whole story so just have a look: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilmainham_Gaol
After that we wanted to visit the Guines Brewery but the entry was so expensive that we decided not to go. So we splited up and walked around at the famous Temple Bar quater. And of course we had a drink at the Temple Bar itself. I love Irish Pubs cause the people are always nice and you have good music all the time.
I bought some shirts and music and a book with strumming patterns for traditional irish songs on guitar. I'll try it when I'm back home :)
We spend a second night at the campsite and got up early in the morning. We decided to drive to the campsite in Belcoo/Holywell in Northern Ireland. On the way we visited Melifont Abbey. Or rather just the ruins of the abbey. But if you have a little bit of phantasy the ruins can be a whole building again ;)
Our next stop was Kells. We needed gas and on the way we visited an old cementry and a chapel. The special thing about the chapel is that it owns the only copy of 'The Book of Kells'. The original is in a university in Dublin. After a snack we decided to drive to the campsite in Northern Ireland and 'chill' the rest of the day. In Northern Ireland you have to pay with pounds and in my opinion it doesn't look that irish anymore. Way to british. But the campsite is okay. It's next to a lake in the middle of a beautiful landscape. Well that's it for now. Here are a few pics for you.

Have a very nice day & Cheers :)










1 Kommentar: